Extra! Extracurricular! - NC Live HeritageQuest

Extra! Extracurricular!

NC Live - HeritageQuest

Authors Note: Happy Summer, my Lenoir-Rhyne University friends! It has been a full season since I last posted in our library blog and for that I extend my deepest apologies. We said goodbye to my co-librarian cohort at the beginning of spring and I have just been oh-so-busy solo-librarian-ing it up that I have neglected this blog. However, I am pledging to keep up with the blog and thus I bring to you a new post!




Extra! Extracurricular! will be a new section of our blogging endeavors that focuses on resources available to you outside of LRU. (Hence the extracurricular nature.) Most resources that we highlight will be from our state library consortium, NC LIVE. If you have not checked out all the library and research goodies NC Live provides to the fine citizens and students of North Carolina, free of charge, you are totally missing out. Through NC Live you have access to ebooks, ejournals, databases, and so much more
free of charge.




Did I mention it is FREE OF CHARGE?



Today I will briefly tell you about one great resource offered by NC Live:

HeritageQuest*


(If you follow this link without first logging into NC Live, you will be unable to access it. Please see the end of this post for directions on how to access NC Live and HeritageQuest.)

HeritageQuest allows you to discover information about your family history. You can search old census records, published family histories (such as books and city directories), Revolutionary War records, Freedman's Bank records, slave schedules, and more.

www.inkstains.com


The census records go back to the year 1790. I used this tool to conduct a search to find records of my great grandparents who were coal miners in West Virginia! I found the census record from the 1920s with their old address and names of my great grandparents, as well as my great aunts that still lived in the home. Very cool to find an old record with their information. 

If you have been sitting on your branch curious about the roots to your family tree, I suggest taking advantage of this great resource.

www.demotivation.us
Happy family tree hunting! 


*To use HeritageQuest and other NC Live resources, you must have a library card and a password. You can log in with your home library and enter the password of the day, which changes daily. To get the NC Live password of the day, ask using the Ask A Librarian chat box located on the LR Library Homepage.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Have you ever heard of a LibGuide?

Some Great Online Resources for Counseling and Allied Areas

Updates and FAQs on the New Library Search